Everyone and their brother seem to be doing online marketing and social media predictions for 2010 so I thought I’d dust off my crystal ball and take a deep look into what I think the new year will hold. In the spirit of your sanity I kept each prediction to 140 characters or less (I thought this was a novel idea, but it looks like TrendSpotting beat me to it). Let’s hope these are better than last year.
- Everybody gets their own iPhone and mobile app. Sites like MotherApp, GameSalad and Swebapps make it too easy.
- Apple, Facebook or Google will open up and allow publishers to do micro transactions across web with ID & buy digital content everywhere.
- Google Nexus One phone = game changer. Google will disrupt wireless industry, create new business model for cell phones.
- Buzzword of the year will be “experience.” Companies figure how to create engaging touches & inject customer love in every level/dept.
- ^^ above companies forced to create small hybrid groups of PR, Mkting, HR & Cust Service focused on set of clients rather than specific duty
- Adwords gets a 2010 upgrade – smarter, better customer choice, maybe even image ads in results…gasp. Advertisers forced to get better.
- Advertisers & Marketers will put QR codes everywhere – ads, websites, physical products. Objects will all be connected & enhance experience.
- SEO gets disrupted because of personalized search and Google Caffeine. Folks who dominated will whine as they lose position.
Predictions from friends
- @clayhebert - Consolidation, mainstream adoption, snake oil exposed, budgets shift from trad to digital, real experts valued & rewarded
- @buckdaddy – Whrrl beat FourSqaure in location based social network. FTC rules will hurt 1 person badly like w music piracy. Available SM jobs will grow
- @jtrigsby – Multiple feeds will converge and enable filtering to produce a more usable life stream of information. Some are doing it now, look for more
- @skippytpe – Social games continue further into meat-space. Mobile media consumption continues to outstrip capacity. Revolution: there’s an app for that.
- @jtrigsby – Number of followers will become less important than quality of friends. Numbers will still be important though, so maybe friend tiers?
Give me your thoughts/predictions/wishes in the comments below.